Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Monday, August 29, 2011
Earlier tonight, Brooke and I decided to visit our new vehicle to see if my wheelchair would fit in the caboose.
After our doctor's appointment, I intend to visit work for a bit while Brooke searches for nurse practitioner preceptors for her final year of college. I'd like to roll into work on my chair while visiting friends since it'll be easier to keep my foot elevated.
Brooke ended up doing most of the labor while I ran some experiements. I wanted to know if it would be possible for me to drive a car.
I think the evidence speaks for itself. The right leg fit nicely over the console and the left foot reached the pedals without any issue.
What do you think?
1. Bottom RingThe bottom ring anchors four k-wires through my foot -- two through the forefoot and two through the hindfoot. As I bear weight while walking, most of the force will be carried through these four k-wires. From the people I've talked to online that have had this procedure, the forefoot wires will hurt the most.2. Middle RingThe second ring in the middle is held to the leg with one k-wire all the way through the tibia and a large half screw into the tibia. This is the first ex-fix I've had with a k-wire that goes through my entire leg this high up.3. Top RingThe third ring at the top has the same setup as the middle ring: one k-wire through the tibia and one large half screw into the tibia. Can't wait to see that k-wire going through the middle of my leg.
- Increased performance
- Increased concentration and reaction speed
- Improved vigilance
- Stimulated metabolism
- Makes you feel more energetic and thus improves your overall well-being
- Increased pain -- going from 0 to 120mph in 1 second
- Increased concentration on pain and no way to react -- except screaming
- Improved vigilance: my ankle is out to murder me
- Stimulated Spunky from her slumber
- My well-being was neither improved nor enhanced
- Urinated in front of people
- Urinated while laying down
- Urinated under severe pressure ("Pee in this cup or we'll insert a large tube in your penis.")
- I've never measured how much urine I typically produce in one session.
Thursday, August 25, 2011
Viss,Thank you for being a loving wife, an understanding partner, and that Mom from the hospital scene in Steel Magnolias.You are the love of my life,Your Crippled Husband
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
The evidence: Spunky farted and woke Laurel up. Laurel got upset and called our dog stinky.
Further experiments will be necessary to calculate the degree of dog fart appreciation as the distance from dog butt to Laurel's face varies. Graphs and Excel workbooks will be in order and a peer reviewed paper discussing the outcomes must be completed before we can make our analysis official.
I am unfortunately up late due to a late night pain battle. The good news is we've finally gotten it back in control, but for a while there I would have taken anything over being in pain -- including close proximity Spunky farts.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Earlier today a magnitude 5.8 earthquake struck Washington, DC. That was the first one we've ever experienced. We're all okay -- nothing broke or fell. However, our dog, Spunky, was quite upset that the Earth woke her up from her nap.
Monday, August 22, 2011
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Friday, August 19, 2011
Apparently honey and peanut butter eliminates hiccups. Sounds ridiculous, right? I agree. But it also sounds delicious.
Thursday, August 18, 2011
- Lovenox Injections
- Diazepam 10 MG (Valium)
- Hydromorphone 4 MG (Dilaudid)
- Oxycontin 20 MG
- Glycerin Suppositories
And I do mean gigantic. That's a pinky finger. Typically, pinky fingers are considered small. Let's be honest -- those people are blind.