Friday, August 19, 2011

The Hiccup Problem

Late last night we came across a new problem -- uncontrollable hiccups. I'm not talking about a few hiccups every now and then.

No.

We're talking about a massively uncontrollable hiccup from the bottom of my gut every 30 seconds. You could set your clock to it. They started around 09:00PM last night and kept going through the entire night.

At around 05:00AM, Brooke woke up with me and came up with an idea. She had leveraged her recent graduate school skills to conduct some important, life-saving research.


Apparently honey and peanut butter eliminates hiccups. Sounds ridiculous, right? I agree. But it also sounds delicious.

This odd concoction worked for a few attempts. I'd take a spoonful of peanut butter and honey, and I'd stop hiccuping. But inevitably, a few hours later, I'd start back up again -- only this time, I had a belly full of delicious, sugary condiments.

This morning, I decided to crutch around outside to get some fresh air and exercise. That seems to have done the trick for the time being. It's surprising how badly out of shape I'm in after spending three days in a hospital.

So the first few nights we lost sleep due to pain. Last night it was hiccups. What's it going to be tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment