Thursday, May 27, 2010

How Much Does New Skin Cost?

Just saw this insurance claim filed by my doctor's office:

SKIN SUBSTITUTE, APLIGRAF, PER SQUARE CENTIMETER $1,800.04
TISSUE CULTURED ALLOGENEIC SKIN SUB 1ST 25 SQ CM OR LESS $1,200.00
TISSUE CULTURED ALLOGENEIC SKIN SUB EA ADDL 25 SQ CM OR PART THEREOF $950.00

I don't really understand any of that, but my skin transplant comes to just under $4,000. I go into the doctor's office tomorrow to get a status update. Has my body rejected it? Is it integrating with my skin? Does it smell bad? These are all questions we hope to get answered tomorrow.

Hopefully it's worth it. Here's a graph comparing Apligraf transplants to a "control." Your guess is as good as mine as to what, exactly, they use as a control.

1 comment:

  1. It works well on Diabetic foot ulcers. I am just glad I have insurance as the cost is alot.

    ReplyDelete