Saturday, May 1, 2010

Wound Vacuums Are Not Cheap

Mom wanted to get an idea of how big the wound is now, so we held an extremely filthy quarter next to an opening in my skin. It looked better last night after giving it a rest. It wasn't draining as much as it has been. The skin was just cleaned with saline, that's why it looks like plastic.

I got a call yesterday about the wound vacuum. It costs about $1,800 to rent for a month. My insurance is going to cover about 70% of it. It arrives Monday morning and I get it installed either Monday afternoon or Tuesday.

I added up all of the claims from the numerous providers since my injury. It came to just over $126,000. And we're not finished. I've not even started physical therapy sessions.

It's a lot of money. But fortunately, our out of pocket expenses has only been around $2,800 to this point.

1 comment:

  1. The most disturbing part of this picture is that your ankle appears to be about 2.5 quarters in width.

    ReplyDelete