Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't Touch Anything

Brooke and I were redoing the wound dressing and noticed how my wound is following the incision line up my leg. It's formed a cave underneath a paper thin layer of skin. It's still growing.

At first we thought maybe the infection had returned. Brooke did some research on iodosorb. It's common for wounds to appear larger after iodosorb treatments because it significantly reduces swelling in and around the wound. The redness is also normal while the incision heals. It can take around two years for an incision to completely heal.

It's frustrating that Brooke and I have to do all of this research ourselves. That's probably why Brooke decided to be a nurse practitioner.

I was about to listen and not take a look at the contents of the box, but we had to sign an agreement that said we checked all of the parts were here.

So I checked.

Vacuum, check. It's heavier than I thought it'd be. No dog hair attachment.

A place to store all of the gross stuff that comes out of my wound. And a tube.

We also got five kits that each contained sponges, saline solution, and a sterile ruler. I guess we use that to measure healing progress.

2 comments:

  1. Just like you to open a box when you're told not to. Good Luck today. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you can, stuff an emergency $20 in there. You never know when it'll come in handy.

    ReplyDelete