This got me wondering: how many holes, incisions, and pins/screws have I had since my accident? Time to add it up.
Surgery 1 on February 13th, 2010
Three external pins.
One plate. Eight internal screws. Seventeen staples.
Surgery 2 on March 1st, 2010
One plate. Eleven internal screws. Twenty staples.
One incision. Two holes for two internal screws in the medial malleolus.
Another hole due to infection in the top incision.
Surgery 3 on August 16th, 2010
Eight external pins.
Three new incisions. Fourteen staples.
Surgery 4 on August 15th, 2011
Eight external pins (nine if you count the temporary pin to find my ankle axis).
Two arthroscopic holes. Three tendo-lengthening holes.
- 2 plates have come and gone
- 5 incisions
- 8 holes from screws, arthroscopy, or tendo-lengthening
- 19 internal screws (4 broken screws left)
- 19 external pins
- 34 holes from external pin sites
- 37 staples
- 39 holes drilled in my bone
- 44 holes in my skin and bone if you add the external pin site holes