Thursday, November 18, 2010

Physical Therapy

Yesterday's physical therapy went great. It's located just a few blocks from George Washington University Hospital. My physical therapist is Kim Stepien. We mostly talked about the injury and took measurements of my strength and flexibility. It was a lot of fun explaining the last nine months to her.

The dorsiflexion situation, unsurprisingly, is terrible. My foot is currently stuck at 90 degrees when I try to move it up. You need about 10 to 15 degrees past 90 to walk normally.

My right butt cheek has atrophied pretty bad, so I've been given a few exercises to improve my butt strength. I'm not sure how Kim could tell. By sight? It was probably from the strength tests, but it would be amusing if her assessment was by sight.

I've added quads and hamstring to my workouts in the gym. I might have gone slightly overboard on my ankle today. At the moment, I cannot bear any weight on my foot without copious amounts of pain.

I asked Kim about the popping sounds coming from inside the joint. She said it was actually a good sign. It shows that there is some moderate movement in the joint. I also asked her about some of the pain I'm having, and she said all of the foot pain is good pain.

The next appointment is tomorrow morning and then we're off to Philadelphia for Brooke's marathon this weekend. As a Redskins fan, I'm ashamed to go to this city after what Vick did to us Monday night. I think I'm obligated to wear my Portis jersey, but there's a good chance an unruly Philadelphia fan will punch me in the face. We'll see.

1 comment: