Friday, November 12, 2010

One Red Foot and One Subaru

Today really made me miss how comfortable and effortless it used to be to walk. Since it was my first day back at work, I walked around a lot more than I had at home Wednesday and Thursday. This second attempt at walking for the first time in months is definitely more difficult than the first try earlier this Summer.

My subtalar joint (between the calcaneus and talus) is killing me. This joint was really stiff before the third surgery. Now it feels like my calcaneus bone has been replaced by a set of Cutco Knives. Sorry for the obscure reference, but I almost got fooled by this scam when I was in high school. When they told me I'd have to buy my own knives to sell to people, I realized these people were preying on my stupidity -- something I have in abundance. But man, those knives could cut through a penny, then a rope, then a shoe, and then a tomato!

In comparison, my ankle joint hasn't started to bother me yet. I guess that's a good sign, but I'm sure in a few days I'll be complaining about that, too.

While a doctor may look at my ankle and say there are good things happening here, I look at my ankle and say that there is little right with it. In this picture you can see how the width of my right foot is much smaller than my left foot. It's difficult to see from this picture, but my right foot has a much higher arch. All of the tendons, the connective tissues around the joints, the muscles -- everything is insanely tight. Plus, on top of all of this, I have several puncture wounds to walk on.

I know that after a few weeks of pain my ankle will be in better shape. It would be great to Tivo this part and fast forward through it.

I start physical therapy Wednesday at a new facility, the Center for Orthopedic Rehab and Exercise. While I enjoyed going to Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation Clinic, I had a few concerns going back, so I'm going to try out a new place. We'll see how it goes.

I decided today to pass on attempting to return to snowboarding by Spring 2011. It's more important that I allow my ankle to heal completely before rushing back into the sport that took away most of my 2010.

However, nothing is stopping me from taking a Subaru off of a sweet jump, like this guy did back in 2007. Please, do not tell Brooke. She could actually stop me from doing this. Yes, she no longer reads the blog. She gets enough of my ankle without having to read about it.

There's a sweet video off of that link. I'm surprised none of the snowboarders from that film ended up in two external fixators.

No comments:

Post a Comment