Monday, July 15, 2013

Walking Day Approaches

Brooke right after Elliot said I am walking this week.

Megan, a CPO, explains something to me that I knew I'd forget.  I forgot.  Too excited.

My negative casting of my residual limb. 

Here's what it looks like inside.

Just making sure there weren't any Skittles in the mold.  There were not.

Here's how the mold was created.

No blog post is complete without a gross video or picture.
Today was such a uniquely awesome day that I had to put the pictures and videos first.
This morning, Dr. Attinger quickly removed my sutures and cleared me for take-off.  He said if I had a leg today I'd be walking today.  With respect to the pictures from the surgery, he hasn't had any down time to get them ready for me.  He asked that I pester him through his home email address to get copies.
Easy, I dominate at that.
After the sutures were out and we were cleared to work with Elliot, we headed over to Orthotic Prosthetic Center to squeeze into his schedule to see him.  He had asked us to try coming earlier during our last visit.  After looking at the limb, I asked Elliot about the immediate timeframe.  How soon will I be able to walk?  I was under the impression it could take up to a week or so to make my new temporary leg.
Wednesday.
It blew both Brooke and me away.  Words cannot describe how excited we are about this week.  My walk day all depends on when my foot arrives in the mail.  We're scheduled to see Elliot again Wednesday morning assuming the foot's sitting in a UPS box that day.
What an awesome week this has been for both Brooke, who just passed her Family Nurse Practitioner Boards, and this guy.
I also wanted to say thank you to everyone for the donations so far for the Super H 5k in September!  I was also blown away by your generosity.  The last few days has been a rush, and it looks like it isn't going to stop, but I will make sure to write each and every one of you individually a personal thank you.  Because you rock.  If you live in the DC area, expect an email from me shortly asking you to join the team, because, let's face it, you have no excuse.

3 comments:

  1. You look Great! I can tell you've been working out. You make it all look easy but I know it's hard work for you as well as the other amputees who read your blog. Love the videos! It looks like she's digging into your skin with those scissors... but the music helped me watch it anyway. When Dr. Attinger told us you would start walking August 1st we tried to tell him you would be pushing it... Congratulations on walking 2 1/2 weeks early! So proud of you Tony, Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo-hoo! That's really exciting. I'm envisioning the a foot showing up in a UPS box though....and having flashbacks to the movie "Seven" (although that was a head).

    Glad to hear the great news :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke's happy face says it all. So excited for you guys. Can't wait to see more. Way to dominate the healing process!

    P.S. That "looking for Skittles" picture is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete